D - Concurrency - Flow Java Language

reply Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
Daniel Y. wrote
 It's almost impossible to come with a good concurrency
 system for an imperative language like D. Java's model
 sucks, and to write a better model we need to (AFAICT):
 either lots of primitives and go the Ada way, or use a
 Actor-like model. IMO it's better to define the
 concurrency in the libraries and hope for the best ;)
Before I go on permanent vacation from D news, I should address the claim that good concurrency in imperative languages, specifically Java, is "almost impossible." My counterclaim will be Flow Java as cited by Peter Van Roy of Mozart/Oz fame (scroll down): http://lambda.weblogs.com/discuss/msgReader$7453 So, good concurrency can indeed mesh with imperative languages like Java (and D). It doesn't take radical surgery, either. The Flow Java extension is described as conservative and moderate. Note, I am not claiming that concurrent operations will be done in an imperative style, just correcting the statement that implementation & design is hard. The Armstrong talk is worthwhile for some real-world concurrency case studies. Relevant to D is that Erlang is used in commercial firmware, which presumably would be one of D's targeted domains (aspiring as it does to be a new systems language). My interest in dataflow concurrency is more than theory. I have used it extensively in LabVIEW work. LabVIEW gives concurrency for free. Independent data flows run concurrently without special instructions. It appears we must wait for more documentation on Flow Java. The point here is that the Java integration job has been done, not merely talked about. I expect LtU will run a feature on it eventually. May your horizons ever expand and good luck to all- Mark
Sep 06 2003
next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bjehpd$1q1n$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Before I go on permanent vacation from D news,
Why? You're a very valued contributor here!
Sep 07 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Mark Evans wrote:

 May your horizons ever expand and good luck to all-
 Mark
You have been the major source of our horizons expansion. And i guess that since people forget things, if the horizon doesn't keep expanding, it will automatically contract. :( -eye
Sep 07 2003
prev sibling parent "Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> writes:
Thanks so much for all the links and insights.  I wish you the best.

Sean