D - newsgroup good practices - please read

reply Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
Please change the Subject: title when you tangent or otherwise change the topic
of a "thread".

example:
original subject: I'm falling wayyyy behind
became a discussion on COM interfaces with D

for those of us that visit once or twice a week this would help a lot
I don't have time to read every message posted

thanks in advance

p.s. I use the web interface to read the messages
Aug 23 2003
"Mark T" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bi81c7$27cv$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Please change the Subject: title when you tangent or otherwise change the
topic
 of a "thread".

 example:
 original subject: I'm falling wayyyy behind
 became a discussion on COM interfaces with D

 for those of us that visit once or twice a week this would help a lot
 I don't have time to read every message posted
I agree. I'd also like to suggest that if you are posting a bug in the D implementation, to preface the subject with "bug:". This will help ensure I don't miss any of them.
Aug 23 2003
parent reply "Riccardo De Agostini" <riccardo.de.agostini email.it> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:bi884g$2isc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I agree. I'd also like to suggest that if you are posting a bug in the D
 implementation, to preface the subject with "bug:". This will help ensure
 don't miss any of them.
Isn't there a chance to have a D.bugs newsgroup instead? The same goes for other macro-topics like D.library, etc. Ric
Aug 25 2003
next sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
I've asked for the same before, and I'll ask again. Glad that you agree.
Walter?

D - general stuff
D.bugs - bugs
D.library - maybe not needed yet, but it will be very soon. We need a
Library group first, which I know is unpopular because it's all a bit too
organised, not to mention an arena for violent disagreement, but it's going
to have to happen sometime. Walter says he can't keep up with the NG now as
it is, so how about the rest of us who are, in the main one would guess,
busy with other careers and trying desperately to keep up with D as it
rockets along.

--
Matthew Wilson

STLSoft moderator and C++ monomaniac

mailto:matthew stlsoft.org
http://www.stlsoft.org

"You can tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much" -- Uncle Michael

---

"Riccardo De Agostini" <riccardo.de.agostini email.it> wrote in message
news:bicsq7$gnn$8 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
 news:bi884g$2isc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I agree. I'd also like to suggest that if you are posting a bug in the D
 implementation, to preface the subject with "bug:". This will help
ensure
 don't miss any of them.
Isn't there a chance to have a D.bugs newsgroup instead? The same goes for other macro-topics like D.library, etc. Ric
Aug 25 2003
parent Benji Smith <dlanguage xxagg.com> writes:
When the D repository website goes up (sometime this week, knock on wood), there
will be discussion groups for various projects, including a "Phobos" discussion
forum and a "D Template Library" discussion forum. Every project that gets
hosted on the site will have its own threaded discussion forum. Hopefully, that
will let us take some of these discussions out of the d newsgroup. I've been
thinking for quite a while that discussion about dig (and other projects) is
inappropriate for the general d newsgroup. As we've seen lately, Walter is
having a tough time keeping up with all the postings here, and I think it will
help considerably when we take our non-general postings elsewhere.

--Benji Smith

In article <bie7gd$2ilj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew Wilson says...
[...]

While that's a good idea, because of thread drift, it never seems to work out too well!
Aug 25 2003
parent reply "Riccardo De Agostini" <riccardo.de.agostini email.it> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:bie99a$2lc3$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 While that's a good idea, because of thread drift, it never seems to work
 out too well!
I've seen NGs where it does work. It all depends (in unmoderated NGs, that is) upon common sense. From what I've seen so far, I trust people here to have enough to move a discussion to the appropriate NG as soon as it becomes off-topic. Granted, this will not work 100% of the times... but 95% won't be bad, and it's not unrealistic IMHO. Ric
Aug 26 2003
parent Helmut Leitner <leitner hls.via.at> writes:
Riccardo De Agostini wrote:

 "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
 news:bie99a$2lc3$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 While that's a good idea, because of thread drift, it never seems to work
 out too well!
I've seen NGs where it does work. It all depends (in unmoderated NGs, that is) upon common sense. From what I've seen so far, I trust people here to have enough to move a discussion to the appropriate NG as soon as it becomes off-topic. Granted, this will not work 100% of the times... but 95% won't be bad, and it's not unrealistic IMHO.
I think a split would not be a good idea. There is "D.gnu" without traffic because questions related to Linux go here. Just as bug-related questions do. Most people interested in D in this early stage will be interested in reading all about it, Linux developments and bugs included. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Aug 26 2003