D - D wrap for GTK+

reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
D wrap for GTK+

Ok guys I lost a lot of work (see my previous post)
probably 30+ hours

my wrap for GTK+ was ready for the first release.
The interest you show when I first let you know
about it was 0 (zero) so if nobody is interested
on the thing probably I will work on it slower.

see the saved screen shots at
http://ca.geocities.com/arvmca/

and help me with my compilation problem :(

Ant
Aug 07 2003
next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bgv6c5$1mgf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 D wrap for GTK+

 Ok guys I lost a lot of work (see my previous post)
 probably 30+ hours

 my wrap for GTK+ was ready for the first release.
 The interest you show when I first let you know
 about it was 0 (zero) so if nobody is interested
 on the thing probably I will work on it slower.
Things take a bit of time to catch on. I worked on D for a couple years before anyone noticed it <g>.
Aug 07 2003
 Ok guys I lost a lot of work (see my previous post)
 probably 30+ hours

 my wrap for GTK+ was ready for the first release.
 The interest you show when I first let you know
 about it was 0 (zero) so if nobody is interested
 on the thing probably I will work on it slower.
you should do it for your own personal reasons, currently most D ppl seems to all be reinventing the wheels I ported a large amount of the win32 headers, produced a templated library to allow automatic dll function importing, got directx working from D (someone else metioned that they had direct3d working but I've not heard any more for a while) I even tried to get the ppl working on win32 wrappers etc to co-operate but that was a fruitless task so resigned myself to continuing my attempts to break the compiler with my bad coding (especially whilst porting C files) and trying to get a 10 line "this breaks the compiler" to post to Walter can be as much of a task as the 200K that was breaking it was to write in the first place. had I seem the post I would have been interested to see if I could use it to interface to the win32 gtk that comes with gimp 4 win32. have you put your sources online ? as for your other problems, import A then B, you did not supply any test files that exibited the problem, I think I like others tend to ignore posts like that because we've got our own set of "problem" code issues and don't want to spent the time trying to reproduce an error to save someone else doing some work. if you post simple examples that show up your problems the usually I'll try them out and see if I can fix them, currently I can only build win32 D apps, tried to put linux dmd onto a dlxlinux running under bochs but that did not work (for several reasons) the redhat 60 images failed to run. (anyone got a space vmware key ?)

[...]

Do you have a website?
Aug 08 2003
[...]
my latest code was put onto http://www.geocities.com/one_mad_alien/dcom_not_dcom.html old stuff on http://www.l8night.co.uk/mwynn/d/ [no ftp at present to update it]
Aug 08 2003
"Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> wrote in message
news:bgvs46$2ago$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 my latest code was put onto
 http://www.geocities.com/one_mad_alien/dcom_not_dcom.html
 old stuff on http://www.l8night.co.uk/mwynn/d/   [no ftp at present to
 update it]
You gotta keep me up to date on these links so I can put them in www.digitalmars.com/d/dlinks.html!
Aug 08 2003
prev sibling parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bgvb77$1r7l$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mike Wynn says...

you should do it for your own  personal reasons,
Hey! I said slower (I'm prety frustraded right now, I'm faccing the entire weekend repeting my work from last weekend, I've only myself to blame...)
I ported a large amount of the win32
I can't use that OS, I use it only when I'm getting paid for it.
as for your other problems, import A then B, you did not supply any test
files that exibited the problem
I don't want anybody to work on my problems, I was hopping that someone knew what it is. As I said I fixed it 2 days ago but almost by accident and I still don't understand it. thanks for your reply (and the others)
Aug 08 2003
parent reply "Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> writes:
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bh0ebr$2s58$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <bgvb77$1r7l$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mike Wynn says...

you should do it for your own  personal reasons,
Hey! I said slower (I'm prety frustraded right now, I'm faccing the entire weekend repeting my work from last weekend, I've only myself to blame...)
I got the impression that you had expected ppl to be excited that you'd done something for them, and then upset that no-one was taking any notice. how much of the GTK bindings did you get done, I would be very interested in seeing what you have so I can get some win32 GTK bindings working, as I intend to revisit the SWT (IBM's Java gui layer used on Eclipse) and see if I can produce a D win32+GTK port of SWT (seems to me to be the better of the bunch of GUI libs I've used/read through) [or SWT style lib anyhow]
I ported a large amount of the win32
I can't use that OS, I use it only when I'm getting paid for it.
the D linux is a new inclusion (there was DLI first) so I started on win32. I'd runing D under rather be doing FreeBSD or BeOS, but only have one PC at present and for the same reasons (work) I have to have Win2K on it.
as for your other problems, import A then B, you did not supply any test
files that exibited the problem
I don't want anybody to work on my problems, I was hopping that someone knew what it is. As I said I fixed it 2 days ago but almost by accident and I still don't understand it.
how can we know what the problem was without an example to work from, and if you don't want ppl to work on your problems don't post them! you could have posted the fix or at least a "this is what I've done is this the D way to solve problem X" incase it is a compiler of lang issue with nested module inclued and/or forward references (may be a symbol clash, they cause all manner of unexpected error messages, especialy if you have someother code error in another inluded module seemingly due to the D compilers attempts to recover from an error and correctly report later errors (rather then stoping at the first error)) anyway best of luck getting GTK bindings working if you get any problems I've become quite adept at porting C headers and working out what the more obscure D error msgs are caused by. (partly ported C files are mainly to blame for the extensive number of times I've crashed the compiler).
Aug 08 2003
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
(What happened to my post? - I'll try again)

In article <bh0gn5$2ude$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mike Wynn says...

how much of the GTK bindings did you get done,
Almost all widgets have a farly good/complete implementation, and the most common callbacks are implement through listener interfaces. I'm missing only some obscure widgets (like the rulers that are very specific) and the TreeView doesn't work properly. (The oddest thing is that I can't create a valid GValue, must be some ridiculous simple problem, probably that's was wrong with the TreeView)
 I would be very interested in
seeing what you have so I can get some win32 GTK bindings working,
I believe that if you have GTK setup for windows you need only to compile DUI, maybe with small changes (but what do I know of windows development?...) The next think I'll do on this project is to post it on the web, at very least it will be a safer backup.
 as I
intend to revisit the SWT (IBM's Java gui layer used on Eclipse) and see if
I can produce a D win32+GTK port of SWT
I'm very suspicious of SWT, I use eclipse both at work (w2k) and at home (Linux) and the linux version is almost unusable because it's too slow, it might be the java VM and it got much better with GTK 2.2.2 (from 1.2).
how can we know what the problem was without an example to work from,
sorry, I though the description was good enough. Anyway I need to reproduce it in a simpler setting so I can try to understant what's going on. I'll post that if I get stuck.
you don't want ppl to work on your problems don't post them!
just trying to say that I will work on it. My idea was if someone already had the same problem perhaps could share the info. (sorry if I don't express myself correctly)
anyway best of luck getting GTK bindings working if you get any problems
I've become quite adept at porting C headers
Do you have any automation for it? (in D, portable to Linux) I see that on the D todo list. I thought about creating one but did every thing by hand. Just copy a minimum set of structs, most of the public functions declarations and puting "extern (C)" the fewer things you have from GTK the easyer to upgrade to new releases of it.
 and working out what the more
obscure D error msgs are caused by. (partly ported C files are mainly to
blame for the extensive number of times I've crashed the compiler).
Aug 08 2003
parent reply "Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> writes:
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bh0qnc$66i$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 (What happened to my post? - I'll try again)

 In article <bh0gn5$2ude$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mike Wynn says...

how much of the GTK bindings did you get done,
Almost all widgets have a farly good/complete implementation, and the most common callbacks are implement through listener interfaces. I'm missing only some obscure widgets (like the rulers that are very specific) and the TreeView doesn't work properly. (The oddest thing is that I can't create a valid GValue, must be some ridiculous simple problem, probably that's was wrong with the TreeView)
 I would be very interested in
seeing what you have so I can get some win32 GTK bindings working,
I believe that if you have GTK setup for windows you need only to compile
DUI,
 maybe with small changes (but what do I know of windows development?...)
hopefully, I have the sources to 1.3 and 2.2 so should be o.k. if there are issues there, not sure which is installed, 1.3 I think I might check through the PHP-GTK sources that I know worked under win32. failing that I might reinstall the cygwin X server and have a play with either GTK under cygwinX or X programming and start writing a widget set (or use lesstif).
 The next think I'll do on this project is to post it on the web,
 at very least it will be a safer backup.
always a good plan, I used to use my web site as an offsite store :)
 as I
intend to revisit the SWT (IBM's Java gui layer used on Eclipse) and see
if
I can produce a D win32+GTK port of SWT
I'm very suspicious of SWT, I use eclipse both at work (w2k) and at home (Linux) and the linux version is almost unusable because it's too slow, it might be the java VM and it got much better with GTK 2.2.2 (from 1.2).
it could be that SWT is a wrapper over GTK which is a wrapper over X, how does its performance compare to Swing (i.e. NetBeans IDE) looks nice but runs slower than 1.0.2 awt on a p90 on my Duron 800. it might also be your old GTK was not using the local X extensions, from what I remember of X programming there are ways to improve performance if your running your client app on the same machine as the X server. the AWT I believe uses motif (or did last time I used Java on Unix [jdk 1.0.2])
you do know you can use extern(C) { .... file ... } :) some time ago I started ... http://www.l8night.co.uk/mwynn/d/deimos.html documenting what was required, I wrote a version (burried on a backup cd somewhere now) but found that much of the win32 headers required a bit of manual tweeking everywhere so automating created twice the work checking its was right. the only "transform" missing is typedef struct foo_s { union { TA a; TB b; } n; TC c; }foo * fooPtr; (or nested struct) has to become union foo_u { TA a; TB b; } struct foo { foo_u u; TC c; } alias foo * fooPtr; and you have to give anon struct/unions a name (which makes your code horrid) and D has align(n): to set the alignment if require
Aug 08 2003
"Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> wrote in message
news:bh0ufd$a6j$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 and you have to give anon struct/unions a name (which makes your code
 horrid)
Try this for anon struct/unions: struct Foo { union { int a; int b; } struct { int c; int d; } } void main() { Foo f; printf("Foo.size = %d, a.offset = %d, b.offset = %d, c.offset = %d, d.offset = %d\n", f.size, 0, &f.b - &f.a, &f.c - &f.a, &f.d - &f.a); }
Aug 08 2003
parent "Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> writes:
news:bh0v53$auc$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> wrote in message
 news:bh0ufd$a6j$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 and you have to give anon struct/unions a name (which makes your code
 horrid)
Try this for anon struct/unions: struct Foo { union { int a; int b; } struct { int c; int d; } }
great I did not know that, exactly what is required to make variant much nicer just tried v0.68 Foo.size = 12, a.offset = 0, b.offset = 0, c.offset = 1, d.offset = 2 though .... why not 4,8 (but remembered int * - int * )
Aug 08 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent Bill Cox <bill viasic.com> writes:
Ant wrote:
 D wrap for GTK+

 Ok guys I lost a lot of work (see my previous post)
 probably 30+ hours

 my wrap for GTK+ was ready for the first release.
 The interest you show when I first let you know
 about it was 0 (zero) so if nobody is interested
 on the thing probably I will work on it slower.

 see the saved screen shots at
 http://ca.geocities.com/arvmca/

 and help me with my compilation problem :(

 Ant

Hi, Ant. I'm very interested in the GTK+ wrapper. We use GTK+ for GUI development under Linux, and MFC under Windows. Not only is GTK+ more easily imported into D than MFC, but it has a higher likelyhood of being truely portable. And, it's open source. There's been some talk about having a common site for D projects. If this happens, I'd suggest putting it up there. I might even get talked into contributing a little, assuming you want additional coders. Bill
Aug 08 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bgv6c5$1mgf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| D wrap for GTK+

Just saw the screenshots. It looks very good!

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander

---
Aug 08 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
DUI is the best library name EVER. :D

prev sibling parent reply Friedrich Dominicus <frido q-software-solutions.com> writes:
Ant wrote:

 my wrap for GTK+ was ready for the first release.
 The interest you show when I first let you know
 about it was 0 (zero) so if nobody is interested
 on the thing probably I will work on it slower.
I'm sorry, but I can not find a place to download that software. Is it still available? Regards Friedrich
Aug 11 2003
parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
Not yet, maybe tonight, probably tomorrow night.

In article <bh85md$12s9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Friedrich Dominicus says...

Is it still available?

Regards
Friedrich
Aug 11 2003