D - DIDE pre-release

reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
Hello all!

Well version 1 of the D IDE is almost ready, I'd like to add auto-indent,
some help files for dig (html help compiler), and some basic auto-complete
before I call it version 1.  Though its pretty useable now so download it
and let me know any bugs you find please!

I also don't have a place to put it.  Right now its up at sourceforge at a
no longer active project

http://wxcode.sf.net/setup.zip

do you think I could put this up at opend.org ?

Also I think we should have a repository for user libraries, and maybe even
a CPAN like program for D.  Ideally I'd like to integrate it into the IDE,
so you can see what libraries are available and automate the download /
install process.  Lots of good programmers on this newsgroup so I'm sure we
can come up with something!

I'd also really like to bundle the compiler and dig with the IDE, I noticed
something about not bundling or re-distrubuting, but I think if users had to
download just one setup program then users would be much more likely to
start using it.  I wouldn't be charging for it or modifying anything, just
bundling it for easier use.  If you like I can show you a package of what I
had in mind and you can decide ?

And lastly D rocks!  I love DIG and am real impressed, good work guys!  (In
version 3 of DIDE I hope to get a dialog editor for DIG)

Charles
Jul 18 2003
next sibling parent reply Jonathan Andrew <jonNO SPAMece.arizona.edu> writes:
In article <bf9l98$2smu$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Charles Sanders says...
Hello all!

Well version 1 of the D IDE is almost ready, I'd like to add auto-indent,
some help files for dig (html help compiler), and some basic auto-complete
before I call it version 1.  Though its pretty useable now so download it
and let me know any bugs you find please!
Arghh... stuck at work! I've been dying to give this a shot ever since you teased us with those nice looking screenshots.
[...]

Yes, I like this idea a lot. If people only had to install one piece of software to get a fully usable environment for writing and compiling D code, this could really speed acceptance. I can think of a lot of situations where (mostly in Linux) libraries or other software is needed to install a program, and sometimes this can be a deal breaker for using that software, D and DIG are easy enough to install that this isn't really too big of a problem, but down the road who knows. I don't know about the licensing issues involved, and I would like everybody's work to be protected, but it would be very convenient to have everything in one nice little package.
And lastly D rocks!  I love DIG and am real impressed, good work guys!  (In
version 3 of DIDE I hope to get a dialog editor for DIG)

Charles
Jul 18 2003
parent reply Jonathan Andrew <jonNO SPAMece.arizona.edu writes:
In article <bf9r76$3ir$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jonathan Andrew says...
[...]

I also suggest, that if bundling is for some reason impossible, than maybe DIDE could have a menu option somewhere that would download and install the latest compiler version. That would be pretty rad. (Not to tell you how to write your software or anything) The same could be said for DIG or any other libraries if a CPAN-like archive was set up. In fact, the whole idea of the IDE being able to query a big archive for libraries is awesome. -Jon
And lastly D rocks!  I love DIG and am real impressed, good work guys!  (In
version 3 of DIDE I hope to get a dialog editor for DIG)

Charles
Jul 18 2003
parent reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
Sweet maybe we can organize a group and set it up.  I'll add plans to add
the upgrade of the compiler and dig.  If i could convice Walter and Burton
to have a simple text file on their servers containing the current version
it would make it alot easier :).

Charles

"Jonathan Andrew" <jonNO SPAMece.arizona.edu> wrote in message
news:bf9rv5$4fo$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

"Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> wrote in message
news:bfa8je$lgi$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sweet maybe we can organize a group and set it up.  I'll add plans to add
 the upgrade of the compiler and dig.  If i could convice Walter and Burton
 to have a simple text file on their servers containing the current version
 it would make it alot easier :).
Not sure just what you need?
Jul 18 2003
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Walter wrote:

 "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> wrote in message
 news:bfa8je$lgi$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Sweet maybe we can organize a group and set it up.  I'll add plans to add
the upgrade of the compiler and dig.  If i could convice Walter and Burton
to have a simple text file on their servers containing the current version
it would make it alot easier :).
Not sure just what you need?
I think he wants to find out what the current version is by downloading a file. In that case, he could probably make use of http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html. All that has to be done is to look for the first line that looks something like this: <a name="new068"><h3>What's New for D 0.68</h3></a> where 068 and 0.68 indicate the current version number. This way his program would only offer to upgrade a user's version of DMD when a new version is actually available. For dig, http://www.opend.org/dig/downloads.html may be used in a similar fashion to determine the current dig version. Of course, if Walter or Burton decide to reformat their pages then all bets are off on this idea working. The most reliable method would be if the authors could have some tiny file maybe called version.txt and contains some simple information such as... title=Digital Mars D version=0.68 url=ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.zip My guess is this is what Charles is suggesting. I think that having a standard method available for auto-updating key D files would be a great benefit to the users. Justin
Jul 18 2003

Yea that would be perfect. Also I hate to push the subject but would you mind If I bundle the compiler with DIDE ? I only ask because I'm having some reports of bugs on ME ( from JC ), and I'd like to see if bundling will solve them. Charles P.S. I'll check go get a free site at one of those url's, but I really suck at html so don't expect much! "J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message news:bfanaf$1a2r$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter wrote:

[...]

Jul 19 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Charles Sanders wrote:
 Hello all!

 Well version 1 of the D IDE is almost ready, I'd like to add auto-indent, ...
Looks like a great program. I'm afraid I can't get it to compile any programs though. I'm running Windows ME and using DMD v0.68. I create a new project on the basic template. Then I select Project/Compile. A message box declares "Error compiling the project!" Here's some information that might give you a clue of what my problem is: Install Path: C:\Program Files\DIDE DMD/BIN Path: C:\dmd\bin DIG Path: C:\dmd\src\dig Something else that occurred to me... I think that the DMD and DIG paths should be configuration options within the program. Most users would prefer avoiding REGEDIT for changing these paths (not that I can't find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DIDE). I've also got a feature request. I personally don't like to store program data (such as source code) in Program Files. It'd be great if you could include an option to create projects in a user-defined path on a separate drive from where DIDE is installed. But I'd still use this program even without this option. Thanks for developing this program. It's another great asset for the D community. Justin P.S. I'm hoping some of those tips of the day are just place-holders. Some of them sound a lot more like tag lines than tips of the day.
Jul 18 2003
parent reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
Ok great, I have added those configuration options under the Global Settings
menu and uploaded the new file.  Also did you get that email I sent about
the bug ?

Thanks,
Charles
"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:bfa02f$9gq$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Charles Sanders wrote:
 Ok great, I have added those configuration options under the Global Settings
 menu and uploaded the new file.  Also did you get that email I sent about
 the bug ?
Jul 18 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Very cool.  What's it made with?

Charles Sanders wrote:
[...]

C++ and MFC, using the toolkit at www.codejock.com.  They have some great
components (XTToolkit) and if you can find it on sale its only $200 bucks.

Charles
"Andy Friesen" <andy ikagames.com> wrote in message
news:bfa0s7$al9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Very cool.  What's it made with?

 Charles Sanders wrote:
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent "anderson" <anderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Nice.

"Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> wrote in message
news:bf9l98$2smu$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

prev sibling parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> escribiσ en el mensaje
news:bf9l98$2smu$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| I'd also really like to bundle the compiler and dig with the IDE, I
noticed
| something about not bundling or re-distrubuting, but I think if users had
| download just one setup program then users would be much more likely to
| start using it.  I wouldn't be charging for it or modifying anything, just
| bundling it for easier use.  If you like I can show you a package of what
| had in mind and you can decide ?

I don't know about that. It might be a good idea. What I for one would
really like is a debugger. I know I can use WinDbg (and I do), but dmd
doesn't generate enough information to watch variables and such, and we all
know how much that would be useful.
But at least there's an option under Windows. Now, if we could only debug
under Linux...

[off topic]
Talking about Linux, I was reading really old posts and I found one in the
c++.chat newsgroup where someone (Burton, I believe) said something about
having dmc for Linux. Now that dmd is available for Linux, would it be
possible to also have dmc?

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander

---
Jul 19 2003
parent Felix <Felix_member pathlink.com> writes:
I think DIDE is a very good job and to bundle it with the dmd&dig is also a good
ideea. I think that people behind the software will agree.
By the way, does anybody know anything about Pavel Minayev's WinD library. I
simply loved the ideea. However, I think that the GUI toolkit should be
standard, so I am for dig.
A debugger should also be a good ideea, though it's a little difficult, I think.

In article <bfc3p9$57r$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Carlos Santander B. says...