D - D-Fun on ICFP

reply "Daniel Yokomiso" <daniel_yokomiso yahoo.com.br> writes:
Hi,

    This is the official update status from the D team. We failed. Not by
much, but we couldn't finish the code until now (end of contest). Mainly it
was due to scheduling issues and personal problems (e.g. I had to struggle
against my ISP most of the weekend). It was very fun and we'll probably
repeat next year.
    D proved to be a bit immature yet. Some compiler bugs were caught, and
we had no time to deal with them, so workarounds were created. Debugging and
testing support is crude, because assert give no stack trace information,
and we can't do proper DbC (symmetrical functions can't be properly
contracted, because function calls inside contracts have their contracts
tested too) without some hacks. Using multiple modules in different
directories is a PITA sometimes, and symbol importing rules is very weird
(including private imports). Also a big, documented, tested class library is
needed, both standard and open-sourced, so we can factor out common code.
    Check out the official wiki page at:
<http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ICFP>.

    Best regards,
    The D-Team.

---
next sibling parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> writes:
Congratulations on a valiant effort!

D will only improve and gain acceptance through use.  So this is good in any
case.  ;)

Sean

"Daniel Yokomiso" <daniel_yokomiso yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
news:bdqlv7$1hi2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Jun 30 2003
parent Helmut Leitner <helmut.leitner chello.at> writes:
"Sean L. Palmer" wrote:

 Congratulations on a valiant effort!

 D will only improve and gain acceptance through use.  So this is good in any
 case.  ;)

 Sean

 "Daniel Yokomiso" <daniel_yokomiso yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
 news:bdqlv7$1hi2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi,

     This is the official update status from the D team. We failed. Not by
 much, but we couldn't finish the code until now (end of contest). ...
First I want to say that it was exciting to take part in the contest and I can only recommend this experience to anyone. I want to thank Daniel for the effort and engagement he put into the contest. He had the idea and he had a hard time to get the team running. I don't think that D problems stopped us. There were a number of rough spots and inconveniencies, but basically it worked quite well. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
[...]

It sure looks like it was a great effort! I'd like a detailed report of the compiler bugs, so I can fix them! Thanks, -Walter
Jul 01 2003
parent reply "Daniel Yokomiso" <daniel_yokomiso yahoo.com.br> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> escreveu na mensagem
news:bdrhep$2d75$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

We can send you the sources, they have "BUG" comments, so you can grep them. It's that fine? If not we'll take some time to produce small tests showing the bugs. --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.491 / Virus Database: 290 - Release Date: 18/6/2003
Jul 01 2003
"Daniel Yokomiso" <daniel_yokomiso yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
news:bdt52a$10h4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 We can send you the sources, they have "BUG" comments, so you can grep
them.
 It's that fine? If not we'll take some time to produce small tests showing
 the bugs.
Small tests, one for each bug, are perfect and great time savers for me. It also means they wind up in the test suite, so they stay fixed.
Jul 01 2003