D - help with: scanf("%.*s", a[])

reply "Andrew Edwards" <edwardsac spamfreeusa.com> writes:
Hello everyone!
I'd first like to say that I'm quite impressed at the
work that has gone on since I disappeared in February.
Kudos on a job well done! I'd also like to thank and
apologize to everyone that responded to my request
for aid on my "Unicode: Japanese Study Program".
I have not had the time, until now to even look at your
working on a D Tutorial, I'm sorry that I couldn't get
back to you.

My Excuse: The Marines called and I had to run.
Just returned on Friday! (Probably lame...but true!)

Now! The nature of my problem.
I'm trying to accomplish the following:

import stream;
int main()
{
  char[] a = "Hello! Welcome to D!";
  printf("%.*s\n", a);
  printf("What did you say your name was again? ");
  scanf("%.*s", a); // &a doesn't work either
  printf("Well %.*s, I wish you the best of luck!", a);
  return 0;
}

D output:
Hello! Welcome to D!
What did you say your name was again? Andrew
Well Hello! Welcome to D!, I wish you the best of luck!

Review of stream.d reveals the following definition
for scanf().

 int scanf(char[] format, ...)
 {
  va_list ap;
  ap = cast(va_list) &format;
  ap += format.size;
  return vscanf(format, ap);
 }

This how vscanf() handles 'D'  strings

 // D string?
 bit dstr = false;
 if (fmt[i] == ".")
 {
  i++;
  if (fmt[i] == "*")
  {
   dstr = true;
   i++;

  if (dstr) // D string (char[])
   *cast(char[]*)*arg = s;
  else  // C string (char*)
  {
   s ~= 0;
   (cast(char*)*arg)[0 .. s.length] = s[];

I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or
something wrong with the scanf()/vscanf() implementation.

Please advise.
May 31 2003
parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Andrew Edwards" <edwardsac spamfreeusa.com> escribiσ en el mensaje
news:bbbh1p$2ut5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| Hello everyone!

Hi, welcome back.

|   scanf("%.*s", a); // &a doesn't work either

I think this should be stream.scanf, but it doesn't work either. Why don't
you read a 0-terminated string and copy it to "a"? Or maybe you could use
gets instead of scanf.

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander

---
May 31 2003
parent "Andrew Edwards" <edwardsac spamfreeusa.com> writes:
"Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> wrote in message
news:bbblun$22g$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Andrew Edwards" <edwardsac spamfreeusa.com> escribiσ en el mensaje
 news:bbbh1p$2ut5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi, welcome back.
Thanks!
 I think this should be stream.scanf, but it doesn't work either. Why don't
 you read a 0-terminated string and copy it to "a"? Or maybe you could use
 gets instead of scanf.
After I import stream, I didn't think I have to clarify which scanf I'm trying to use. As for the 0-terminated strings and gets, I'm not interested in using C functions, because I don't know C. Stream.d seams to address the use of scanf for D strings, so I'd like to learn it the D way.
May 31 2003