D - 16 bit D code

reply Georg Wrede <Georg_member pathlink.com> writes:
DMD is never going to be 16 bit, right?

How about the compiled code?

For example, I have a 80186 computer (no typo here!), that's
located in a place where I don't want to do programming.
Currently I do all development for it with Turbo Pascal,
but I'd love to prune my assortment of languages.

(Footnote: crazy as it may be, I am currently trying to make
a desicion whether to have my company do all our contracts
in YAML + Lua + D. And only the absolute final output in
HTML, XML etc., if demanded.)

Math is of course a problem. But this may be fixed with using
Free Pascal libraries. (The 80186 machine has no math
coprocessor anyhow.)

So, while there'll never be a DMD compiler that works in a
16-bit environment (which is OK with me), is it possible
that some day we might see one that produces output for the
old Intel machines? (80186 runs obviously 8086 code if needed.)
May 21 2003
"Georg Wrede" <Georg_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bah82m$itt$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 DMD is never going to be 16 bit, right?
Correct.
 How about the compiled code?
 For example, I have a 80186 computer (no typo here!), that's
 located in a place where I don't want to do programming.
 Currently I do all development for it with Turbo Pascal,
 but I'd love to prune my assortment of languages.

 (Footnote: crazy as it may be, I am currently trying to make
 a desicion whether to have my company do all our contracts
 in YAML + Lua + D. And only the absolute final output in
 HTML, XML etc., if demanded.)

 Math is of course a problem. But this may be fixed with using
 Free Pascal libraries. (The 80186 machine has no math
 coprocessor anyhow.)

 So, while there'll never be a DMD compiler that works in a
 16-bit environment (which is OK with me), is it possible
 that some day we might see one that produces output for the
 old Intel machines? (80186 runs obviously 8086 code if needed.)
The way the language is designed would make it very difficult to target 16 bit code. At least, do it efficiently. C is the best choice for 16 bit code.
May 22 2003