D - How use dmd under linux?

reply Manfred Hansen <manfred toppoint.de> writes:
Hello,

this is what i have done:

hansen hansen-lx:~/d/dmd/src> ./dmd hello.d
Linker is not yet completed for this version of DMD Linux

hansen hansen-lx:~/d/dmd/src> gcc -o hello hello.o phobos.a -lpthread
/usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: phobos.a(moduleinit.o): bad relocation section
name `.rel.data'
/usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: phobos.a(array.o): bad relocation section name
`.rel.data'
/usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: phobos.a(gcx.o): bad relocation section name
`.rel.data'
/usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: phobos.a(gcbits.o): bad relocation section name
`.rel.data'

hello.d is from samples.
After this i have a working hello programm.
But a lot of messages from the linker.

The phobos.a have i copied to /usr/lib
gcc version 2.95.3

Regards Manfred
May 10 2003
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
This is the kind of thing I was afraid of. I built this thing under Red Hat
Linux, and I hoped that all the various linkers would be compatible. I
haven't got a clue why that linker complains about the section name. You're
saying the result works anyway?

"Manfred Hansen" <manfred toppoint.de> wrote in message
news:b9j706$3d6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

next sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:b9jhna$d5r$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| This is the kind of thing I was afraid of. I built this thing under Red
Hat
| Linux, and I hoped that all the various linkers would be compatible. I
| haven't got a clue why that linker complains about the section name.
You're
| saying the result works anyway?
|
| "Manfred Hansen" <manfred toppoint.de> wrote in message
| news:b9j706$3d6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| > Hello,
| >
| > this is what i have done:
| >

| > hansen hansen-lx:~/d/dmd/src> ./dmd hello.d
| > Linker is not yet completed for this version of DMD Linux
| >
| > hansen hansen-lx:~/d/dmd/src> gcc -o hello hello.o phobos.a -lpthread
| > /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: phobos.a(moduleinit.o): bad relocation
| section
| > name `.rel.data'
| > /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: phobos.a(array.o): bad relocation section
| name
| > `.rel.data'
| > /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: phobos.a(gcx.o): bad relocation section
name
| > `.rel.data'
| > /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: phobos.a(gcbits.o): bad relocation section
| name
| > `.rel.data'
| >
| > hello.d is from samples.
| > After this i have a working hello programm.
| > But a lot of messages from the linker.
| >
| > The phobos.a have i copied to /usr/lib
| > gcc version 2.95.3
| >
| > Regards Manfred

I got exactly the same (gcc 3.. I don't remember, Mandrake 9) but it works
fine.

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander

prev sibling next sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
[...]

Ouch, this could be tough getting this to work on different linux distributions. But Redhat Linux was a wise choice to start with, I think. Unfortunately multiple Linux distributions are difficult to support with a single binary package without a fair amount of work. Redhat uses RPMs and Gentoo uses portage ebuilds to sort out dependency issues. I'll give it a try on Gentoo soon. Manfred appears to be using Suse Linux. Later, John
May 10 2003
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
I should mention, though, that the above problem doesn't look like a
dependency issue, I guess.
May 10 2003
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.05.10.19.13.15.368645 telus.net...
 I should mention, though, that the above problem doesn't look like a
 dependency issue, I guess.
I'm a newbee with linux, so any clues you guys can come up will help. I tried googling on the error message, but didn't come up with much.
May 10 2003
parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
 "John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote in message
 news:pan.2003.05.10.19.13.15.368645 telus.net...
 I should mention, though, that the above problem doesn't look like a
 dependency issue, I guess.
I'm a newbee with linux, so any clues you guys can come up will help. I tried googling on the error message, but didn't come up with much.
Well, you can count on that. I'm sure many people want to see it on linux enough to help wherever possible. I know I do. I'm no Linux expert, but I love messing with it. There was one thing I was wondering. If you are using Redhat Linux, it's likely you are using a more recent version, correct? Maybe 8.0 or 9.0? If so, it's very unlikely that you compiled dmd or phobos using gcc 2.95.3. your probably using gcc 3.1 or 3.2. Manfred's gcc 2.95.3 probably didn't like linking to your gcc 3 compiled phobos (2.95.3 and 3 have a completely different and incompatible ABI). If this is the case, I'd stick to supporting the new gcc 3 compiler. Although this is a little over my head, so I'm not quite sure. I may be just confusing the issue. I think there are some gcc experts on this list, so I had better lay low on this issue. Later, John
May 10 2003
next sibling parent John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
[...]
Oops, perhaps that isn't it after all. Looks like Carlos is using gcc 3.x and he appears to have the same problem. Later, John