D - Why is Ackermann's function so much slower in D?

reply "DDevil" <ddevil functionalfuture.com> writes:
You know, from the shootout.  It's almost exactly twice as slow as the C
version.  I'm just curious more than anything else.  Is this due to a
tail-call optimization made by the C compilers?

As a side note, is there any way to make dmd output the assembly language
for the file you are compiling? (like the -S option in GCC)  This would
allow me see why it's slower.

--
// DDevil

The code:

import string;

int Ack(int M, int N)
{
    if (M == 0) return( N + 1 );
    if (N == 0) return( Ack(M - 1, 1) );
    return( Ack(M - 1, Ack(M, (N - 1))) );
}

int main(char[][] args)
{
   int n = args.length < 2 ? 1 : string.atoi(args[1]);
   printf("Ack(3,%d): %d\n", n, Ack(3, n));
   return(0);
"DDevil" <ddevil functionalfuture.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.03.18.12.37.59.960375 functionalfuture.com...
 You know, from the shootout.  It's almost exactly twice as slow as the C
 version.  I'm just curious more than anything else.  Is this due to a
 tail-call optimization made by the C compilers?
Make sure you're compiling with -O -release.
 As a side note, is there any way to make dmd output the assembly language
 for the file you are compiling? (like the -S option in GCC)  This would
 allow me see why it's slower.
Sure. Compile normally, then run OBJ2ASM on the .obj file output.
Mar 18 2003