D - Linux Port?

reply Mongryong Lee <Mongryong sympatico.ca> writes:
What's the status of the Linux port of D?  DLI's readme seems to
indicate that it sucks and is not as good as the Windows version.

So, is 'D' reliable under Linux?
Mar 01 2003
parent reply Russ Lewis <spamhole-2001-07-16 deming-os.org> writes:
Mongryong Lee wrote:

 What's the status of the Linux port of D?  DLI's readme seems to
 indicate that it sucks and is not as good as the Windows version.

 So, is 'D' reliable under Linux?
I have been using it for a while. It works pretty well, although it doesn't seem to link (I link with gcc instead). Also, the GC isn't enabled. Most of the time, it does well. But it has a way of crashing on syntax errors, rather than handling them gracefully. That's ok with me, since it is intended to just be a temporary D compiler until we can get a new compiler, written from scratch in D. In other words, DLI is just the bootstrap compiler. -- The Villagers are Online! http://villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Mar 10 2003
parent reply J.Aubourg <J.Aubourg_member pathlink.com> writes:
I wonder why the original D compiler was not designed to output ansi C. This
would have made porting to other platforms so much easier: a D compiler written
in D would generate ansi C code that would be easy to compile nearly anywhere.
Any idea why this approach was not used (even not for a simple bootstrap
compiler)?

-- Julian
Mar 11 2003

Exceptions, primarily. They are hard to implement in C. -- The Villagers are Online! http://villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
 I wonder why the original D compiler was not designed to output ansi C.
This
 would have made porting to other platforms so much easier: a D compiler
written
 in D would generate ansi C code that would be easy to compile nearly
anywhere.
 Any idea why this approach was not used (even not for a simple bootstrap
 compiler)?
Exceptions, primarily. They are hard to implement in C.
Inline assembler, too <g>. Also, the various thunks that get created.
Mar 13 2003