D - My valuable ideas on "D".

reply Keith Fuller <Keith_member pathlink.com> writes:
When are you going to ship a "1.0"?
There are already more than enough language features to make me happy.

Here is my wish list
(or things that I think would most contribute to D's success):

* Intellisense.  I'm so used to it, I'm lost (or frustrated) without it.

* COM support.

* A nice big standard library.
So we are not all programming in different languages (in effect).

* Code samples.

* "D" needs and deserves a snazzy name, something to be excited about!

If "D" can use GC to produce faster code and
let the programmer be more productive, too,
that's something to get excited about.
And the name should reflect that.

How am I expected to find "D" stuff on Google without a real name?

My two cents worth.

Keith Fuller
keithfx [at] hotmial.com
Feb 10 2003
next sibling parent reply "Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> writes:
"Keith Fuller" <Keith_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:b28se1$vto$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 When are you going to ship a "1.0"?
 There are already more than enough language features to make me happy.

 Here is my wish list
 (or things that I think would most contribute to D's success):

 * Intellisense.  I'm so used to it, I'm lost (or frustrated) without it.
Eclipse (why not aid the effort).
 * COM support.
it's there ... interface is a COM interface.
 * A nice big standard library.
 So we are not all programming in different languages (in effect).
get coding.
 * Code samples.
look on the D web site,
 * "D" needs and deserves a snazzy name, something to be excited about!
why ?
 If "D" can use GC to produce faster code and
 let the programmer be more productive, too,
 that's something to get excited about.
 And the name should reflect that.
others don't fairies! how that related to pascal/modular2?) etc how about utayggr use this and you get great results, web search for that would be easy :)
 How am I expected to find "D" stuff on Google without a real name?
there are D links on the digital mars site.
 My two cents worth.

 Keith Fuller
 keithfx [at] hotmial.com
Feb 10 2003
Almost choked on my coffee on that one... Yeah, it's not taken! "No pages were found containing "utayggr"." However, there's var'aq: http://www.geocities.com/connorbd/varaq/
 How am I expected to find "D" stuff on Google without a real name?
there are D links on the digital mars site.
When I was thinking for a name for a language, I searched "D language" and, to my giant surprise, there was one :) C's not very much better in this sense for some reason people have a tendency to learn it... -Antti
"Antti Sykari" <jsykari gamma.hut.fi> wrote in message
news:86bs1jl71m.fsf hoastest1-8c.hoasnet.inet.fi...
 Almost choked on my coffee on that one...
 Yeah, it's not taken! "No pages were found containing "utayggr"."
My experience, however, with names like "utayggr" is nobody can remember how to spell them, so they wind up misspelled in messages and web pages, and googling won't find them anyway. The same problem occurs if you use a common name with an uncommon spelling. One of the reasons I picked "Digital Mars" as a company name is because searches are pretty well targetted, and almost nobody misspells it. And I like the multiple meanings <g>.
"Keith Fuller" <Keith_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:b28se1$vto$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 When are you going to ship a "1.0"?
The consensus here is that more bugs need to be fixed first.
 There are already more than enough language features to make me happy.
Ah, the never ending feature treadmill!
 Here is my wish list
 (or things that I think would most contribute to D's success):

 * Intellisense.  I'm so used to it, I'm lost (or frustrated) without it.
I don't know what that is.
 * COM support.
Already there.
 * A nice big standard library.
 So we are not all programming in different languages (in effect).
I agree the current D library is insufficient, but you can use existing C libraries with it.
 * Code samples.
Want to write some?
 * "D" needs and deserves a snazzy name, something to be excited about!
 If "D" can use GC to produce faster code and
 let the programmer be more productive, too,
 that's something to get excited about.
 And the name should reflect that.
D was originally called Mars, but everyone seemed to just like D better.
 How am I expected to find "D" stuff on Google without a real name?
I google using "D Programming Language" and get pretty good results.
Feb 20 2003
next sibling parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Walter wrote:
* Intellisense.  I'm so used to it, I'm lost (or frustrated) without it.
I don't know what that is.
It's an IDE feature, not a language feature. It's just auto-completing a method name as you type it. Eclipse does it for Java. (and could almost certainly do so for D too)
"Andy Friesen" <andy ikagames.com> wrote in message
news:b33dls$2sit$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It's an IDE feature, not a language feature.  It's just auto-completing
 a method name as you type it.
Ok. Some people really like those things, but as you said, they are a feature of the editor, which I'll defer to others who are better at that than I am.
Feb 22 2003
prev sibling parent Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
 * A nice big standard library.
 So we are not all programming in different languages (in effect).
I agree the current D library is insufficient
As it should be at this point in time. Get the language right first. The "standard" library will evolve a lot over time any how (see the history of every other language).
Feb 21 2003