D - how do I use template( char T : 'x', P ) ?

reply "Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> writes:
I found that extern( foo ) instance .... did not migrate the linkage to the
template
so not wanting to use an enum, first I tried template( char[] T : "Windows",
R )
but that does not work :(
tet5.d(2): template base(char[] : "W",R) integral type expected for
value-parame
ter, not char[]

then I tried this

template base( char T : 'W', R )
{
 extern (Windows) alias R (*fp)();
 fp func;
}

template base( char T : 'C', R )
{
 extern (C) alias R (*fp)();
 fp func;
}

const char WWWW = 'W';
instance base( WWWW, int ) other;
instance base( 'W', int ) te;
extern( Windows ) alias int (*wfp)();
extern( Windows ) alias te.fp awfp;

int myd_func(){ return 2; }

int main( char[][] args )
{
 wfp wfunc;
 awfp awfunc;
 awfunc = &myd_func;
 te.func = &myd_func;
 wfunc = &myd_func; // only windows fp
 return 0;
}

the templates compile .... BUT
there is no way to create an instance on them

instance base("W",int) does not match any template declaration

with both 'W' or a const

Mike.
"Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> wrote in message
news:b245qp$1eud$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I found that extern( foo ) instance .... did not migrate the linkage to
the
 template
Right. It compiles the template in the context it was defined in, not the context of the instance.
 so not wanting to use an enum, first I tried template( char[] T :
"Windows",
 R )
 but that does not work :(
 tet5.d(2): template base(char[] : "W",R) integral type expected for
 value-parame
 ter, not char[]
Right, only integral values supported for value parameters.
 then I tried this

 template base( char T : 'W', R )
 {
  extern (Windows) alias R (*fp)();
  fp func;
 }

 template base( char T : 'C', R )
 {
  extern (C) alias R (*fp)();
  fp func;
 }

 const char WWWW = 'W';
 instance base( WWWW, int ) other;
 instance base( 'W', int ) te;
 extern( Windows ) alias int (*wfp)();
 extern( Windows ) alias te.fp awfp;

 int myd_func(){ return 2; }

 int main( char[][] args )
 {
  wfp wfunc;
  awfp awfunc;
  awfunc = &myd_func;
  te.func = &myd_func;
  wfunc = &myd_func; // only windows fp
  return 0;
 }

 the templates compile .... BUT
 there is no way to create an instance on them

 instance base("W",int) does not match any template declaration

 with both 'W' or a const
I'll log that as a compiler bug.
Mar 11 2003