D - best D pattern for C parameter references?

reply "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
Hi, I'm currently playing around using different DLLs from D. I saw that
quite some C/C++ functions use notation like this:
    void version(short &major, short &minor);

How should I convert this best to the D world? I first converted the
funciton delcation like this:
    extern (C) export void version (short &major, short &minor);

And tried to call it from D with:
    short major, minor;
    version (major, minor);

Of course this doesn't work. The only way I have found so far is this:
    extern (C) export void version (short *major, short *minor);
    short major, minor;
    version (&major, &minor);

Is there any better way to do it? A more Dlish way?

--
Robert M. Münch
IT & Management Freelancer
parent reply Burton Radons <loth users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Robert M. Münch wrote:
 Hi, I'm currently playing around using different DLLs from D. I saw that
 quite some C/C++ functions use notation like this:
     void version(short &major, short &minor);

 How should I convert this best to the D world? I first converted the
 funciton delcation like this:
     extern (C) export void version (short &major, short &minor);

 And tried to call it from D with:
     short major, minor;
     version (major, minor);

 Of course this doesn't work. The only way I have found so far is this:
     extern (C) export void version (short *major, short *minor);
     short major, minor;
     version (&major, &minor);

 Is there any better way to do it? A more Dlish way?
extern (C) void version (inout short major, inout short minor); short major, minor; version (major, minor);
Feb 02 2003
parent reply "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
"Burton Radons" <loth users.sourceforge.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:b1j4or$s3m$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 extern (C) void version (inout short major, inout short minor);
 short major, minor;
 version (major, minor);
Thanks a lot ! :-)) Seems like I need to RTFM once again. With this it should even be possible to write a script that converts such declarations from C to D. Robert
Feb 04 2003
parent reply Ilya Minkov <midiclub 8ung.at> writes:
Hello.

In about a week i'll start writing a tool to convert C headers into D
import units. It shall be written completely in D. IMO, D has most of
the "sweet sides" of scripting languages.

First information requiered is collected by Mike Winn who was going to
write one already.
http://www.l8night.co.uk/mwynn/d/deimos.html
But i think that the whole system he proposes is too complicated. I
think mine would be more simple and straightforward, though provide a
more limited maintainance.

Gr=FC=DFe aus M=FCnchen
-i.

Robert M. M=FCnch wrote:
 With this it should even be possible to write a script that converts
 such declarations from C to D. Robert
Feb 04 2003
next sibling parent "Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> writes:
yes, it is, I got bogged down dealing with nested structs, and interfaces
are different you need to know which are new methods and which are
inherited, making it easier to use a few replace alls in an editor (like the
transforms I doc'd)
and then an hour tidying up (how I did the Windows and DirectX headers).
the idea had been to allow tools such as Araxis Merge/CSDiff to be modified
to handle updates to the C header
and migrate to the D module without the need to fully reconvert.
if ou want the source to the version I have party working email me, I'll see
if I can get it back to producing some output :) currently I've got a big
bug in the code where is does not pop the transfrom if there are any nested
structs,
and the comments it generates are a bit wrong. (its totally based on
regexp's which at the time I thought was an easy way to get something
working [fool])
I should update the website, as I've kind of given up development due to not
having the time at present.and getting distracted writing some D crypto libs
to see how they compare speedwise to my C++ libs.

I'll check that there are not transforms I though up that are not online.

best of luck getting it working, you have customer No. 1, I've still got C
headers I want to convert :).

Mike.

"Ilya Minkov" <midiclub 8ung.at> wrote in message
news:b1p34l$1q1o$1 digitaldaemon.com...
Hello.

In about a week i'll start writing a tool to convert C headers into D
import units. It shall be written completely in D. IMO, D has most of
the "sweet sides" of scripting languages.

First information requiered is collected by Mike Winn who was going to
write one already.
http://www.l8night.co.uk/mwynn/d/deimos.html
But i think that the whole system he proposes is too complicated. I
think mine would be more simple and straightforward, though provide a
more limited maintainance.

Grüße aus München
-i.

prev sibling parent "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
"Ilya Minkov" <midiclub 8ung.at> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:b1p34l$1q1o$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 In about a week i'll start writing a tool to convert C headers into D
 import units. It shall be written completely in D. IMO, D has most of
 the "sweet sides" of scripting languages.
Hi, hmmm don't know if using D for such a tool is the best idea. IMO that's something for which scripting languages are perfect. I'm going to try something done in Rebol. It has very nice parsing build in and I just want to setup a collection of rules that can be processed. This Might not lead to a perfect output but a good enough one. Robert
Feb 04 2003