c++.stl.sgi
c++.stlsoft
c++.windows
c++.windows.16-bits
c++.windows.32-bits
c++.wxwindows

digitalmars.empire
digitalmars.DMDScript

c++ - Porting a 16-bit DOS program to windows, and inline asm which uses

↑ ↓ ← SL <shadowlord13 users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Quoting from http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/ctgInlineAsm.html:
Functions can change the values in the EAX, ECX, EDX, ESI, EDI >registers.

Functions must preserve the values in the EBX, ESI, EDI, EBP, ESP, SS,
CS, DS registers (plus ES and GS for the NT memory model).

I'm attempting to port a 16-bit DOS program (which is compiled for DOS with Borland's C++ 3.1 compiler) to Windows, using DMC as the windows compiler. This program is written in C++, but doesn't use classes, and uses a LOT of assembly code. I've already modified the asm so it should work, and the rest of the program (I'll elaborate on what I had to do if anyone wants to know, otherwise, it's probably not relevant), and it compiles fine. (Semi-important note: The code does not modify any segment registers at all when compiled for windows, doesn't use lds/les/etc, and so forth) However, there's a problem (possibly a compiler bug). This program uses EBX (a lot), EDI and ESI (also a lot), and also in one place it uses EBP. It does push/pop the values around the code that uses them, and this all works fine in BC3.1, but I'll need to check the one spot where it uses ebp to make sure it isn't using any local variables there. However, it seems that references to someLocalArray[esi] in inline asm code are being assembled wrong: Original inline asm: fld dword ptr trxf[0] fld dword ptr trxf[4] fsub dword ptr trxf[esi] What's actually in the EXE: fld dword ptr [ebp-0x44] //ebp is 0012fbc0 when that's run fld dword ptr [ebp-0x40] fsub dword ptr [esi-0x44] trxf is an array that's declared at the top of that function: float trxf[4]; esi is 12 when that code is being run (It'll be always set to either 8 or 12 there). So trxf[esi] should be getting assembled to [ebp-0x44+esi], shouldn't it (or [esi-0x44+ebp], whatever)? (Instead of [esi-0x44]) Is that a bug in the compiler/assembler/whatever-is-doing-this? P.S. That code works fine in DOS, of course, though it uses si instead of esi. And I had one other question: What does DMC use EBX and EDI and ESI for? Can I get away with pushing them before doing asm code and popping them after? That's how it's coded now. I'm hoping that they're all used only at the start and end of functions, or for classes, say, as a pointer to the current object when executing a class method. This program doesn't use classes at all, and only uses structs in a few places. The author actually relied in a few places on variables being placed in memory in the order they're declared in, so he could save them all to disk or load them all in one _read or _write statement. That works fine in BC.31, but I wonder if it will in DMC. No worries though, if they aren't arranged in order of declaration, I'll just have to either load them one at a time or shove them into a struct temporarily to load or save them. Thanks in advance for your time & help. -SL
Feb 27 2005