c++.stl.sgi
c++.stlsoft
c++.windows
c++.windows.16-bits
c++.windows.32-bits
c++.wxwindows

digitalmars.empire
digitalmars.DMDScript

c++ - DMC++ mishandles perverse, but legal, revered subscripting syntax for arrays

↑ ↓ ← "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
All compiles except where marked. All should compile

int main()
{
    char        c;
    char        *p  =   &c;
    unsigned    x   =   0;
    char        b[10];

    p[x] = 'o';
    x[p] = 'k';

    0[p] = 'r';

    b[x] = 'o';
    x[b] = 'k';     /* Compiler wrongly gives error */

    0[b] = 'r';     /* Compiler wrongly gives error */

    return 0;
Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Matthew wrote:
 All compiles except where marked. All should compile

i think it may better stay so. It's definately not very annoying since anyone sane wouldn't write that. You could just as well write (x+b) :> -eye
Feb 20 2004
 All compiles except where marked. All should compile

i think it may better stay so. It's definately not very annoying since anyone sane wouldn't write that. You could just as well write (x+b) :>

Nonsense. It's non-standard behaviour, and in such a simple thing that any other compiler handles correctly. I really don't think you'll convince Walter to *not* do this, given his desire to be fully-conformant. And as for your assertion that no-one would use such a construct, I'll just smile, and you can wait until you've read "Imperfect C++". Now you've got three reasons to buy it (the other ones being the Properties chapter, and my mentioning your request for properties in the acknowledgements). :)
Feb 20 2004
All compiles except where marked. All should compile

i think it may better stay so. It's definately not very annoying since anyone sane wouldn't write that. You could just as well write (x+b) :>

Nonsense. It's non-standard behaviour, and in such a simple thing that any other compiler handles correctly. I really don't think you'll convince Walter to *not* do this, given his desire to be fully-conformant.

It's probably so to guard for bugs.
 And as for your assertion that no-one would use such a construct, I'll just
 smile, and you can wait until you've read "Imperfect C++". Now you've got
 three reasons to buy it (the other ones being the Properties chapter, and my
 mentioning your request for properties in the acknowledgements).

I really don't need to count the reasons, i know i want to get it as soon as it's out. :> Unfortunately, /me would not be able to raise your sales much only by bying it myself. -eye
Feb 20 2004
"Ilya Minkov" <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrote in message
news:c169kc$1fdf$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:
Matthew wrote:

[...]

Don't be so sure. You might account for up to 50% of sales! (I know my mum's going to buy one <g>)
Feb 20 2004
I really don't need to count the reasons, i know i want to get it as
soon as it's out. :> Unfortunately, /me would not be able to raise your
sales much only by bying it myself.

Don't be so sure. You might account for up to 50% of sales! (I know my mum's going to buy one <g>)

I've been spreading Word, so i'm sure i account for at most 34% of sales. -eye
Feb 21 2004
 All compiles except where marked. All should compile

Have Walter fixed this already??? :-o Just tried it with 8.40 and it compiles fine... A very impress person, KTC -- Experience is a good school but the fees are high. - Heinrich Heine
Feb 21 2004
I just tried with 8.40.1, and it still fails.

"KTC" <me here.com> wrote in message news:c18pf7$30pl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Matthew" wrote...
 All compiles except where marked. All should compile

Have Walter fixed this already??? :-o Just tried it with 8.40 and it compiles fine... A very impress person, KTC -- Experience is a good school but the fees are high. - Heinrich Heine

Feb 21 2004
 I just tried with 8.40.1, and it still fails.

I've just copied and paste exactly what you posted in the orginial post and it compiles fine for me... scppn.exe gives version 8.40.2n KTC -- Experience is a good school but the fees are high. - Heinrich Heine
Feb 21 2004
 I just tried with 8.40.1, and it still fails.

I've just copied and paste exactly what you posted in the orginial post and it compiles fine for me... scppn.exe gives version 8.40.2n

That's what I have. I must conclude that I pasted an incomplete version. Including here again ... Walter, I presume this'll be easy-ish to fix. Any ETA? :)
Feb 21 2004
 I must conclude that I pasted an incomplete version. Including here

 Walter, I presume this'll be easy-ish to fix. Any ETA? :)

Ahha, discovered why. It compiles if one compiles it as C++ but not if it's C.
Feb 22 2004
"KTC" <me here.com> wrote in message news:c1a3um$2ivm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Matthew" wrote...
 That's what I have.

 I must conclude that I pasted an incomplete version. Including here

 Walter, I presume this'll be easy-ish to fix. Any ETA? :)

Ahha, discovered why. It compiles if one compiles it as C++ but not if it's C.

That's interesting. It also explains a few things I was wondering about. :)
Feb 22 2004