c++.stlsoft
c++.windows
c++.windows.16-bits
c++.windows.32-bits
c++.wxwindows

digitalmars.empire
digitalmars.DMDScript

c++ - Debug doesn't work in tutorial

↑ ↓ ← "kremlap" <nospam spamless.com> writes:
I am learning DM from the online tutorial at
http://www.digitalmars.com/ugr/chapter10.html and have reached "Running in
Debug Mode".  (I purchased the IDDE.)  However, when I hit 'Start/Restart
Debugging' I get a message on the output window that says, "Warning: This
debugger can only debug Win32 applications." and though the DigitalMars
header says "(Debug)", I'm clearly not in a normal debug mode, i.e., there
are no icon indicators in the project window.  The tutorial program,
tmldos.exe runs ok.

Do I need to install something else?  Is the tutorial project not a Win32
app?  If not, is there a tutorial that is?

I'm on a WinXP Pro machine and am running DM under a user account, if that
helps.

--
- kremlap
(email replies can prefix the above to the comcast.net domain)
"kremlap" <nospam spamless.com> wrote in message
news:bi0dk3$2t56$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I am learning DM from the online tutorial at
 http://www.digitalmars.com/ugr/chapter10.html and have reached "Running in
 Debug Mode".  (I purchased the IDDE.)  However, when I hit 'Start/Restart
 Debugging' I get a message on the output window that says, "Warning: This
 debugger can only debug Win32 applications." and though the DigitalMars
 header says "(Debug)", I'm clearly not in a normal debug mode, i.e., there
 are no icon indicators in the project window.  The tutorial program,
 tmldos.exe runs ok.

 Do I need to install something else?  Is the tutorial project not a Win32
 app?  If not, is there a tutorial that is?

 I'm on a WinXP Pro machine and am running DM under a user account, if that
 helps.

The 32-bit IDDE (SCW32.exe) can only debug Win32 applications. I believe there is also a 16-bit IDDE under the name of scwmn16.exe that you can use to debug other targets, but I haven't tried it. If it's all the same for you, you'd better switch your target to Win32. In Project->Settings there is a "Platform" combo box, in which you select your target platform - choose Windows 95 or Windows NT. You may also need to set the target type to "Console". Rebuild and you should be able to debug your executable just fine. Regards, Dimitri
Aug 21 2003