c++.stlsoft
c++.windows
c++.windows.16-bits
c++.windows.32-bits
c++.wxwindows

digitalmars.empire
digitalmars.DMDScript

c++ - Port to Linux and/or FreeBSD.

↑ ↓ ← J. Harlough <J._member pathlink.com> writes:
Hello. I've used the Digital Mars C++ compiler under Windows somewhat, and have
found it to be an excellent experience. However, at home I tend to do most of my
hobby development under Linux and FreeBSD running on PCs. I was wondering if
there has been, or will be, a port to Linux and FreeBSD of the C and C++
compilers.

This is slightly off-topic, but will there be ports of the D programming
language compiler and runtime to Linux and/or FreeBSD? I've looked at the
language briefly, and it seems to be pretty interesting.

Please pardon me if these questions have been freqently asked. I did a quick
search through the site's search engine and at Google (news.digitalmars.com
isn't available through groups.google.com) and didn't find any relevant
information.

Thanks so much,
J. Harlough
Jul 18 2002
Good questions. There have been a couple of ports of DMC++ to Linux, but
both failed due to lack of interest. There is plenty of interest in a
Linux/GNU version of D, and an ongoing project to create one in the
newsgroup D.gnu

-Walter

"J. Harlough" <J._member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ah7tfs$11r8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Have there been? I am certainly interested in using DMC++ on Linux. Or even
cross compiling for Linux on a PC, just porting the resulting ELF format
file.

Any way I could try these earlier ports? To start with, even the older
versions will do.
Thanks,
- Rajiv

news:ah7vo2$13v4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

I would be very happy to have DMC++ on FreeBSD / Linux! Even
without the latest and greatest template stuff.

Thanks
Arjan

Rajiv Bhagwat wrote:
 Have there been? I am certainly interested in using DMC++ on Linux. Or even
 cross compiling for Linux on a PC, just porting the resulting ELF format
 file.

 Any way I could try these earlier ports? To start with, even the older
 versions will do.
 Thanks,
 - Rajiv

 news:ah7vo2$13v4$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Good questions. There have been a couple of ports of DMC++ to Linux, but
both failed due to lack of interest. There is plenty of interest in a
Linux/GNU version of D, and an ongoing project to create one in the
newsgroup D.gnu

-Walter

Jul 19 2002
"Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> wrote in message
news:ah8bi3$1fj1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Have there been? I am certainly interested in using DMC++ on Linux. Or

 cross compiling for Linux on a PC, just porting the resulting ELF format
 file.

 Any way I could try these earlier ports? To start with, even the older
 versions will do.
 Thanks,
 - Rajiv

Jul 19 2002
What can we do (besides nagging!) to help finish the porting? The gcc
experience is not good so far, after being spoilt by the DMC speed and
convenience.

- Rajiv

news:ah9kh5$2qmc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The ports were never finished.

 "Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> wrote in message
 news:ah8bi3$1fj1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Have there been? I am certainly interested in using DMC++ on Linux. Or

 cross compiling for Linux on a PC, just porting the resulting ELF format
 file.

 Any way I could try these earlier ports? To start with, even the older
 versions will do.
 Thanks,
 - Rajiv

Jul 19 2002
I'm just too overextended. I have to be a little ruthless in paring down
what I take on. -Walter

"Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> wrote in message
news:ahb0at$16dl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 What can we do (besides nagging!) to help finish the porting? The gcc
 experience is not good so far, after being spoilt by the DMC speed and
 convenience.

 - Rajiv

 news:ah9kh5$2qmc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The ports were never finished.

 "Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> wrote in message
 news:ah8bi3$1fj1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Have there been? I am certainly interested in using DMC++ on Linux. Or

 cross compiling for Linux on a PC, just porting the resulting ELF

 file.

 Any way I could try these earlier ports? To start with, even the older
 versions will do.
 Thanks,
 - Rajiv

Jul 20 2002