c++ - Internal error: cod2 4221

reply Brian Gardner <briangr friberg.us> writes:
I got this error when I tried to compile C file (~81Kb) with the -o
flag. Without the flag it compiles fine. This wasn't a problem for some
earlier DMC versions (v8.40 I think). Aside from this the compilation
time was more than 30s in the earlier versions.

DMC v8.46.5n

Brian

PS. I can't send the source code.
Feb 14 2006
next sibling parent Brian Gardner <briangr friberg.us> writes:
In addition:
With -o-liv flag instead of -o it compiles fine, although the
compilation time is ~67s (on my PC).
With -o-liv-loop the compilation time is ~1s.

Brian
Feb 14 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Brian Gardner" <briangr friberg.us> wrote in message
news:dssq97$1obn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I got this error when I tried to compile C file (~81Kb) with the -o flag.
Without the flag it compiles fine. This wasn't a problem for some earlier
DMC versions (v8.40 I think). Aside from this the compilation time was more
than 30s in the earlier versions.

 DMC v8.46.5n

 Brian

 PS. I can't send the source code.
There's really not much I can do without an example that can be traced through the optimizer to see where it is going wrong. Try cutting the source file down to a smaller one, nearly all bugs can be reduced to just a few lines of code.
Feb 15 2006
parent reply Brian Gardner <briangr friberg.us> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 "Brian Gardner" <briangr friberg.us> wrote in message
 news:dssq97$1obn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I got this error when I tried to compile C file (~81Kb) with the -o flag.
 Without the flag it compiles fine. This wasn't a problem for some earlier
 DMC versions (v8.40 I think). Aside from this the compilation time was more
 than 30s in the earlier versions.

 DMC v8.46.5n

 Brian

 PS. I can't send the source code.
There's really not much I can do without an example that can be traced through the optimizer to see where it is going wrong. Try cutting the source file down to a smaller one, nearly all bugs can be reduced to just a few lines of code.
I can’t trace the bug by this way. I stripped the source file to about 2900 lines. If I comment one more line (no matter where) it compiles (almost always) fine. Brian
Feb 15 2006
parent reply Arjan <arjan ask.me> writes:
Brian Gardner wrote:
 Walter Bright wrote:

 "Brian Gardner" <briangr friberg.us> wrote in message
 news:dssq97$1obn$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 I got this error when I tried to compile C file (~81Kb) with the -o
 flag. Without the flag it compiles fine. This wasn't a problem for
 some earlier DMC versions (v8.40 I think). Aside from this the
 compilation time was more than 30s in the earlier versions.

 DMC v8.46.5n

 Brian

 PS. I can't send the source code.
There's really not much I can do without an example that can be traced through the optimizer to see where it is going wrong. Try cutting the source file down to a smaller one, nearly all bugs can be reduced to just a few lines of code.
I can’t trace the bug by this way. I stripped the source file to about 2900 lines. If I comment one more line (no matter where) it compiles (almost always) fine. Brian
I can confirm this. Even removing comments may do the trick! Really! I have a test case from about 5000 lines. Arjan
Feb 15 2006
parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Arjan" <arjan ask.me> wrote in message
news:dt0avl$1vip$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Brian Gardner wrote:
 I can’t trace the bug by this way. I stripped the source file to about
 2900 lines. If I comment one more line (no matter where) it compiles
 (almost always) fine.

 Brian
I can confirm this. Even removing comments may do the trick! Really! I have a test case from about 5000 lines.
Then send me that (hopefully, the shorter one <g>).
Feb 16 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Brian Gardner" <briangr friberg.us> wrote in message
news:dssq97$1obn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I got this error when I tried to compile C file (~81Kb) with the -o flag.
Without the flag it compiles fine. This wasn't a problem for some earlier
DMC versions (v8.40 I think). Aside from this the compilation time was more
than 30s in the earlier versions.

 DMC v8.46.5n

 Brian

 PS. I can't send the source code.
Fortunately, Stefano was able to send source code that reproduced the problem, and the fix is now up in the beta section.
Feb 20 2006
parent Arjan <arjan ask.me> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 "Brian Gardner" <briangr friberg.us> wrote in message
 news:dssq97$1obn$1 digitaldaemon.com...

I got this error when I tried to compile C file (~81Kb) with the -o flag.
Without the flag it compiles fine. This wasn't a problem for some earlier
DMC versions (v8.40 I think). Aside from this the compilation time was more
than 30s in the earlier versions.

DMC v8.46.5n

Brian

PS. I can't send the source code.
Fortunately, Stefano was able to send source code that reproduced the problem, and the fix is now up in the beta section.
Whow that is quick! Thank a lot! It started to show up frequently. Arjan
Feb 20 2006