c++ - Suppressing warning 6 without disabling it

reply "Johnny Willemsen" <jwillemsen remedy.nl> writes:
Hi,

When building ACE/TAO I get the warning: Warning 6: value of expression is
not used

In ACE/TAO we use a macro ACE_UNUSED_ARG for arguments which are there, but
not used under certain conditions. The macro is defined as

or

But both don't suppress the warning with DMC? Anyone an idea how to get rid
of warning 6, with such a macro, we don't want do disable it completely.

Johnny
Sep 23 2004
next sibling parent reply "Włodzimierz Skiba" <abx abx.art.pl> writes:
"Johnny Willemsen" <jwillemsen remedy.nl> wrote in
news:ciuli7$1d7s$1 digitaldaemon.com:

 Anyone an idea how to
 get rid of warning 6, with such a macro, we don't want do disable it
 completely.
In wxWidgets we have: #define WXUNUSED(identifier) #ifdef __BORLANDC__ #else template <class T> inline void wxUnusedVar(const T& WXUNUSED(t)) { } #endif and then write code which afaik works with all c++ compilers we support (including DMC): wxUnusedVar(some_variable); ABX
Sep 23 2004
parent "Johnny Willemsen" <jwillemsen remedy.nl> writes:
Hi,

Thanks for this, I have added such a construct also to ACE. I only observed
that the template way of doing this, increases the size of the app a little,
the do/while solution is optimized out by the compiler, the template
probably not.

Johnny

"Włodzimierz Skiba" <abx abx.art.pl> wrote in message
news:ciurr4$1j0m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Johnny Willemsen" <jwillemsen remedy.nl> wrote in
 news:ciuli7$1d7s$1 digitaldaemon.com:

 Anyone an idea how to
 get rid of warning 6, with such a macro, we don't want do disable it
 completely.
In wxWidgets we have: #define WXUNUSED(identifier) #ifdef __BORLANDC__ #else template <class T> inline void wxUnusedVar(const T& WXUNUSED(t)) { } #endif and then write code which afaik works with all c++ compilers we support (including DMC): wxUnusedVar(some_variable); ABX
Sep 24 2004
prev sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Johnny Willemsen" <jwillemsen remedy.nl> wrote in message
news:ciuli7$1d7s$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi,

 When building ACE/TAO I get the warning: Warning 6: value of expression is
 not used

 In ACE/TAO we use a macro ACE_UNUSED_ARG for arguments which are there,
but
 not used under certain conditions. The macro is defined as

 or

 But both don't suppress the warning with DMC? Anyone an idea how to get
rid
 of warning 6, with such a macro, we don't want do disable it completely.
-w6 see www.digitalmars.com/ctg/sc.html#dashw
Sep 30 2004