c++ - open source headers and libraries?

reply "Bruce Dodson" <bruce_dodson hotmail.com> writes:
Has there been discussion of open-sourcing the DM runtime library?  The
source code for this has traditionally been included on the Symantec C++
CD-ROM and presumably is on the DM CD-ROM as well, so it seems to me there
are no secrets in it.  On this I am just curious; I have no pressing need
for it although it would be nice to be able to add support for some
additional functions like popen, to increase POSIX and/or MSVC
compatibility.

On the other side of the coin, has there been any thought of leveraging the
free w32api headers used by the MinGW project and others, making whatever
small modifications are needed so these can be used with DMC++?  This would
bring the API headers up to almost-current, whereas the headers and import
libraries presently delivered with DM often need to be hacked with entries
from the Platform SDK to make it work.
"Bruce Dodson" <bruce_dodson hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:btuo63$23dh$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Has there been discussion of open-sourcing the DM runtime library?  The
 source code for this has traditionally been included on the Symantec C++
 CD-ROM and presumably is on the DM CD-ROM as well, so it seems to me there
 are no secrets in it.  On this I am just curious; I have no pressing need
 for it although it would be nice to be able to add support for some
 additional functions like popen, to increase POSIX and/or MSVC
 compatibility.
The complete library source comes with the CD.
 On the other side of the coin, has there been any thought of leveraging
the
 free w32api headers used by the MinGW project and others, making whatever
 small modifications are needed so these can be used with DMC++?  This
would
 bring the API headers up to almost-current, whereas the headers and import
 libraries presently delivered with DM often need to be hacked with entries
 from the Platform SDK to make it work.
I looked at those headers. Curiously, there is no mention at all in the header source about the license, other than they are 'free'. Are they covered by the GPL? Are they public domain?
Jan 13 2004
parent reply Parinya Thipchart <thipchart yahoo.com> writes:
Walter wrote:

 I looked at those headers. Curiously, there is no mention at all in the
 header source about the license, other than they are 'free'. Are they
 covered by the GPL? Are they public domain?

http://www.mingw.org/mingwfaq.shtml#faq-w32api The link above contains a link to the license term of w32api using by MinGW. Regards, Parinya
"Parinya Thipchart" <thipchart yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:bu24nq$1mbv$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter wrote:

 I looked at those headers. Curiously, there is no mention at all in the
 header source about the license, other than they are 'free'. Are they
 covered by the GPL? Are they public domain?
http://www.mingw.org/mingwfaq.shtml#faq-w32api The link above contains a link to the license term of w32api using by
MinGW.
 Regards,
 Parinya