c++ - Berkeley DB 4.1.25

reply "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
Hi, I'm going to try to compile BDB 4.1.25 with DMC++. Unfortunately the
Win32 build stuff is for VC. Is there a fast way to use VC workspace and
project files? It looks like BDB use's a quite complex setup and I would
like to avoid to reverse engineer it.

--
Robert M. Münch
IT & Management Freelancer
next sibling parent reply "Gisle Vanem" <gvanem eunet.no> writes:
"Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> wrote:

 Hi, I'm going to try to compile BDB 4.1.25 with DMC++. Unfortunately the
 Win32 build stuff is for VC. Is there a fast way to use VC workspace and
 project files? It looks like BDB use's a quite complex setup and I would
 like to avoid to reverse engineer it.
If you have MSVC, load up the project and export it to a makefile. Then adapt it from nmake to dmc's make syntax. Or use the far better GNU make. Gisle V.
Mar 07 2003
parent reply "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
"Gisle Vanem" <gvanem eunet.no> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:b4apvk$27j5$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 If you have MSVC, load up the project and export it to a makefile.
Well, if I would have MSVC I would just use it ;-)) to compile the stuff. Robert
Mar 08 2003
parent reply Ilya Minkov <midiclub 8ung.at> writes:
Small tip: do you know Dev-C++ compiler IDE? It contains a MingW=20
compiler and works with GCC derivates. And the latest beta has this=20
feature: it can import a more-or-less recent MSVC workspace and produce=20
a makefile for the GNU make and GCC. This can be adapted to work with=20
DMC, if you like. Or simply take the newest MingW, which is though the=20
world's slowest beast, the code has recently become fairly good. I can't =

use it on my old crappy machines because of slowness - new ones don't=20
fall from the sky over here.

If i'm not mistaken, you get it at www.bloodshed.net
you need "5 beta", which actually is 4.9.x.x - take the latest one.

-i.

Robert M. M=FCnch wrote:
 "Gisle Vanem" <gvanem eunet.no> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
 news:b4apvk$27j5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
=20
=20
If you have MSVC, load up the project and export it to a makefile.
=20 =20 Well, if I would have MSVC I would just use it ;-)) to compile the stuf=
f.
 Robert
Mar 08 2003
parent reply "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
"Ilya Minkov" <midiclub 8ung.at> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:b4dt8k$rns$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Small tip: do you know Dev-C++ compiler IDE? It contains a MingW
 compiler and works with GCC derivates.
Hi, no I don't knew it. Thanks for the tip. BTW: Is DMC++ compatible with the GDB for Windows?
 Or simply take the newest MingW, which is though the
 world's slowest beast, the code has recently become fairly good. I can't
 use it on my old crappy machines because of slowness - new ones don't
 fall from the sky over here.
I had a look at the MingW stuff some time ago but never tried it in deep. IIRC it uses the MS runtime stuff instead of Cygwin as most other GNU stuff is based on, right? Is it worth having a look? Robert
Mar 09 2003
parent Ilya Minkov <midiclub 8ung.at> writes:
Robert M. M=FCnch wrote:
 Hi, no I don't knew it. Thanks for the tip. BTW: Is DMC++ compatible wi=
th
 the GDB for Windows?
Urgh... IIRC they expect different debug data format... [browsing documentation...] It might just a s well be an old rumor. It appears that GDB recognises a = whole lot of debug information formats, so i would still wonder a bit if = this one isn't among them. If you find out something more solid before i = do, tell us.
 I had a look at the MingW stuff some time ago but never tried it in dee=
p.
 IIRC it uses the MS runtime stuff instead of Cygwin as most other GNU s=
tuff
 is based on, right? Is it worth having a look? Robert
Fist, it doesn't use a UNIX-compatible runtime, that's right, which is=20 the basic idea of it. The idea is the "try to get complete native=20 windows stanards compatibility", so it even has library and object=20 formats compatible with MSVC. Cygwin IIRC isn't compatible, and=20 requieres a 1-meg DLL (POSIX emulator) to be redistributed. The downside = is that you can't compile some UNIX utilities with it. The earlier versions of MingW did use msvcrt.dll IIRC, but there is a=20 project out there to re-implement it from scratch. As i compiled=20 something with MingW 2.0.0 (GCC 3.2-based), it was already independant=20 of MS DLL. Besides, people report that past the version 3.0 of GCC, generated code=20 quality has improved greatly and has become better than that of MSVC.=20 It's nothing special, just terse and "no-nonsense", which is already=20 very hard to achieve, especially in such a complex, multi-headed beast.=20 [it's a real woder it works at all.] It does a great number of=20 representation conversions and wastes tons of time though... -i.
There's the cl.exe program, which will convert vc's command line syntax to
dmc. -Walter

"Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> wrote in message
news:b4am28$2555$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi, I'm going to try to compile BDB 4.1.25 with DMC++. Unfortunately the
 Win32 build stuff is for VC. Is there a fast way to use VC workspace and
 project files? It looks like BDB use's a quite complex setup and I would
 like to avoid to reverse engineer it.

 --
 Robert M. Münch
 IT & Management Freelancer
 Mobile: +49 (0)177 2452 802
 Fax   : +49 (0)721 8408 9112
 Web   : http://www.robertmuench.de
Mar 07 2003
parent "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:b4b2ck$2d3t$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 There's the cl.exe program, which will convert vc's command line syntax to
 dmc. -Walter
Ok, that's for the command line stuff. I'm searching for a tool to avoid to create the make-file strucutre and content myself. Anyway, I'm going to write one as this just needs some parsing. I'll let you know. Robert
Mar 08 2003