c++.stlsoft
c++.windows
c++.windows.16-bits
c++.windows.32-bits
c++.wxwindows

digitalmars.empire
digitalmars.DMDScript

c++ - problem starting up

↑ ↓ ← biff <biff_member pathlink.com> writes:
having trouble compiling first program - i'm getting....Fatal error: unable to
open input file 'test.cpp'  - - - errorlevel1

my program reads:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <iostream.h>

main()
{

cout << "Hello!";

}
Nov 26 2002
↑ ↓ "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
Some questions:

1. Are you using the command line version?
2. Can you include a description of your actions to effect the compile?

In anticipation of this information, and making a few assumptions:

a. You need to have c:\dm\bin in your path. You can do this in Win95/8/ME by
adding the following line

  path = c:\dm\bin;%PATH%

to your autoexec.bat file, or in NT/2000/XP by opening the System applet in
Control Panel, and selecting the Environment Variables (you'll need to hunt
for this as is different on each operating system), then adding c:\dm\bin to
the PATH environment variable

b. you need to specify a fully-qualified path for your file or, preferably,
execute your compile instruction from the file's local directory. E.g. if
your file is in c:\test\test.cpp, then change to c:\test and from there
execute

 dmc test.cpp

Matthew

"biff" <biff_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:as0e6s$h99$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 having trouble compiling first program - i'm getting....Fatal error:

 open input file 'test.cpp'  - - - errorlevel1

 my program reads:

 #include <stdio.h>
 #include <iostream.h>

 main()
 {

 cout << "Hello!";

 }

Nov 26 2002
Thanks for replying - I'm using NT - I looked for the PATH variable in the
control panel and it already appears to have a value set - any ideas? i have
test.cpp in c:\dm\bin - in this directory in type dmc test.cpp

In article <as0kgj$o1k$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew Wilson says...
[...]

Not off the top of my head. That does seem strange. Are you typing

  sc test.cpp

?

Try

  sc .\test.cpp

and see what happens.

Seems puzzling ...

"biff" <biff_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:as0mdj$q0n$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

thanks for the help but that didn't work either

In article <as0nu2$rlo$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew Wilson says...
[...]

Too weird for me. Maybe Walter might know.

Sorry

Matthew

"biff" <biff_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:as0qai$u7g$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

news:as0qv6$usg$1 digitaldaemon.com...